There’s no better way to explore the world than from the saddle of your favourite mountain bike. From city to mountains, to desert in Africa, your mountain bike is your travel best friend. Even though your mountain bike is built to stand up to the rigours of your adventurous life on the road, protecting and keeping it well is always a must.
Good thing, travelling on your mountain bike is much easier now than then. There are available mountain bike travel cases in-store, or online that can protect your travel buddy’s structure and material.
Most of these are durable and versatile enough to provide maximum support to your well-loved bike. They are designed to deliver your bag unscathed while giving you much needed peace of mind in travelling.
So, the next time you take your mountain bike with you, choose our recommended best mountain bike travel cases below. These are the best cases we have tested so far that can guarantee the highest level of protection for your mountain bikes.
Best Mountain Bike Travel Case Reviews
1. Aophire Folding Travel Bike Bag
If you are looking for the best mountain bike travel bag, the Aophire folding bike bag is the right pick for you. It fits a regular 26 inches-sized mountain bike and has an allowance of up to 27.5 inches. This bag is portable to carry with its easy to grasp bag handle. It has a dimension of 140cm x 80cm x 28cm when unfolded while 40cm x 19cm x 14cm when folded. With this measurement and structure, it is convenient to carry everywhere you go.
This bag comprises high quality material with its heavy-duty 600D Oxford fabric and 300g non-woven fabric for its shoulder straps. The material used for the straps and handles is durable to ensure that it can carry your mountain bike’s weight.
Moreover, as they are made to support your bike’s overall weight, the sewing is guaranteed tight and fitting. However, unlike other cases with wheels, this bag is made to carry. That is why the shoulder straps are adjustable, so you can change whether you want to bring it by shoulders or hand.
2. Rockbros Bike Travel Bag Bike
Whether you have a large-sized bike or a regular-sized mountain bike, the Rockbros travel bike bag is ideal for you. It is meant to be versatile as it can accommodate different types of bikes. You can store your regular road bike, mountain bike, foldable ones, or even a small-wheeled bicycle in its sleek and well-structured design.
This unit is made up of 600D Oxford fabric – this material is known to be durable and can withstand wear and tear. So it provides the maximum level of support for your mountain bike. This bag also has a water-resistant feature. Due to its waterproof and anti-fouling lining composition, you are guaranteed that your bike can be free of moisture and dirt.
It is convenient to clean, as well. Just use a damp cloth, pat it on your bag, and it will be good as new. On the other hand, like hard mountain bike cases, this MTB travel bike has layers of support and protection. It has triple protection. The wheels have a separate compartment with adjustable fixing buckle to avoid friction between wheels. There are straps included to support the whole frame, so it will not move around when travelling.
3. Thule Round Trip Sport Bike Travel Case
The first hard case that we recommend is the Thule Round trip sport MTB travel case. It is made from high-quality and durable polyethene material coupled with padding layers to give the best protection to your mountain bike. Like other hardshell cases, this Thule round trip sportbike travel case can easily be pushed or pulled with its integrated wheels. You can use it inside the airport conveniently when you travel.
This travel case is spacious enough and can accommodate the road and cycle cross bikes that you have. The internal dimension can run to 45×28.5×10 inches. It can fit in small to medium-sized MTBs. As an added layer of protection, this bike travel includes heavy-duty straps to keep your bike from moving inside. You will have peace of mind knowing that your MTB is safely tucked in the bag.
4. Huntvp Bike Transport Carrying Case
Another softshell mountain bike carry bag in our list. Unlike other Oxford fabric bags that we mentioned, this MTB bag is made up of 1680D nylon fabrics. It is used for better stitching and crafting to make the structure more pleasing. It is best for bikes with 26 to 29 inches like regular road bikes or large-sized mountain bikes.
Like a regular travel bag designed for hand carry, it has a shoulder strap made of high quality nylon material. You can easily roll or fold it when not used. It is waterproof as well, which can protect your bike from getting wet when raining.
The bag can readily accommodate bigger bikes, yet you need to remove the front wheel and handlebar from the main structure. If you want your bike to have the maximum level of protection, this MTB case requires you to add extra padding when storing.
5. Evoc 100407100 Bike Travel Bag
If you are looking for a hard shell and soft shell travel case combined, this hybrid Evoc bike travel bag is the best fit for you. Manufactured by a famous brand, Evoc, you are guaranteed that it is made from durable and high-quality material. However, given its durability, it is more expensive compared to other bike bags.
It is not only durable but very versatile as well. You can store any bike that you have. It can accommodate Cross Country, All Mountain, and Enduro bikes famous for massive and heavy-duty devices. This unit is made of a hard shell, thus you can expect that the bag’s internal part is spacious for your large bikes. It has a carrying capacity of 285L, suitable for long-distance travel. It also has two wheels attached to lessen the burden of carrying it.
6. B&W Bike Bag International
The B&W International Bike Bag is an affordable hybrid mountain bike carrying case. It adds double edge protection to the MTBs. The upper portion of the matter is made up of polyester material while the lower end is from high quality hard plastic. Its sophisticated design is an excellent combination of both quality and functionality.
The structure is both sleek and compact, making your travel lighter and less bulky. The size of this carrying case is big enough to accommodate larger MTBs up to 29 inches. It is made to carry different types of bikes like racing bikes and even triathlon bikes. You can expect versatility and functionality from this bag.
Since it employs a hybrid approach to its structure, it has a double layer of protection. Moreover, the lower end of the bag is made up of plastic, hence you can be assured that your MTB will be safe and secure. You do not have to worry about moving the bag around the airport, as it comes with wheels attached to a sturdy plastic structure.
7. Aophire Folding Bike Bag Thick Bicycle
If you enjoyed using an Aophire mountain bike case for air travel, this updated version of the same line is a good pick for you. The brand recently released an improved version of the folding travel MTB bag to make it more durable. You will notice that the material used is thicker and wear-resisting. However, this version is meant for hand carry as it does not come with wheels. You need to carry it all the time.
It has the same feature as the old version, yet it gives more internal space to provide your MTB room. It has a size limit of 26 to 27.5 inches regular bike as well. It is made up of 1680D Polyester material to allow flexibility when storing. You still need to remove your wheels and handlebar when putting your bike inside.
8. Thule Round Trip Transition Bike Travel Case
This Thule Roundtrip mountain bike hard case is the most spacious and most significant on our list. It can fit your TT bikes without having to disassemble every part. The case has a base system called Click-rail that supports the overall structure of the cycle during transport. It is made from aluminum material, making it a sturdy and robust travel MTB case.
Bike enthusiasts and athletes prefer this travel case because it is convenient to use in airlines. It has an integrated bike stand that securely holds your bike in place during travel. You will not have to worry about damaging your most precious MTB during long trips. Since it is designed for easy packers, the top rail of the stand will be put into place once you click it and securely tuck in your bike.
9. Evoc 100407900 Multicolor Men’s Tote
Another innovative product from Evoc. This Evoc bike travel bag pro gives you the complete level of protection for your MTB. Even though it is under the soft case category, the brand has proven that its products are the perfect solutions for your MTB security concerns.
It is highly functional as it can accommodate regular bikes with a size of 26 inches and large bikes of 29 inches. It is a tremendous 29er mountain bike travel case. Compared to other models of the same brand, it is very affordable. Bike types like road, time-trial, cyclocross, and triathlon bikes can easily fit into its spacious internal compartment. It has a weight capacity of up to 280L. You are guaranteed that all your bike’s components are safe and protected.
It is made of heavy-duty nylon-ripstop with internal padding of about 10mm in terms of a protection system. It is wear-resistant and can protect your bike from being damaged or abrasion. However, as it is under the soft case category, basic protection can only be provided to your bike.
10. Camco Waterproof Bicycle Travel Case
The cargo bike bags for mountain bikes are fit for your regular sized MTBs. It can carry a 26 inches bike and securely hold your bike inside. It is made up of 1680 nylon fabric to complement its lightweight and waterproof design. It endured high-density webbing to ensure bag strength.
It can cope and withstand a severe environment that can cause harm to your MTB. You are guaranteed that your bike will not be harmed when put inside this travel case. However, take note that it lacks wheels for easy navigation. This bag is made to be carried when in travel.
It has a three-step packing system, which is ideal for easy packers. You just need to disassemble your bike’s front wheels, the handlebar next and put and tuck them into their respective compartments. Its zippers are easy to use, as well. You can quickly load and unload your bike without facing any zipper issues.
What to Look for When Buying Mountain Bike Travel Case
There are many vital factors that you should take a closer look before purchasing any mountain bike travel case. So to help you out, I have listed some of the most important things for you to consider. Kindly read through these factors with me.
Travel mountain bike suitcase comes in two forms. It is either made of hardshell or softshell. Hardshell can provide the highest level of support and protection than softshell. It is made to sustain heavy impacts and break down. Yet, it is heavier than a softshell, which can cost you more in luggage fees. Since it is not foldable, it can take up more space in a car or hotel room wherever you take it.
On the other hand, softshells are more versatile. You can fold or roll them down when not in use. It is easy to store and can take a little space when travelling. Moreover, unlike hard shells, softshells rely on padding to protect mountain bikes. They are made up of durable nylon that can sustain impacts as well. There are available high-end softshell cases that guarantee the level of support as hardshell ones. If you want both durability and versatility, you can choose a high-quality softshell mountain bike travel case.
Your mountain bike box comes in a specific size. It is the same with the available mountain bike travel cases in the market. When buying a travel case for your bike, always consider your mountain bike weight that you want to store. We recommend that you buy a bag that is big enough to take on your bike easily. The travel case should fully support your bike to give it much needed protection.
The weight and size of your mountain bike travel case also incur luggage fees when you travel. Of course, the heavier the case, the bigger the possibility that you can exceed the airlines’ weight limit.
Some mountain bike travel cases can weigh as much as 38lbs, while others can only weigh just 13lbs. It is a significant weight difference that should always be taken into consideration.
Wheels and Handles
Your mountain bike plus the travel case that comes with it are heavy enough. Most mountain bike travel cases, especially in hard shells, have wheels to transport easily and move them. This will allow you to push or pull the point when at the airport without worrying about carrying a lot of weight.
Other mountain bike travel cases have handles or shoulder straps so you can carry them with you. They are useful for short distance walks without having something you drag all the time. Depending on your preference, you can choose wheeled travel cases or a strap mountain bike travel case.
Ease of Packing
All pbk bike travel cases require you to disassemble your bike when storing it. No case will hold your bike fully assembled. Yet, travel cases need you to disassemble most of the pieces to put them inside the bag. Some mountain bike travel cases will only require you to take the wheels off, the pedal and the seat post, and you can quickly put it inside the bag.
However, some travel cases require you to remove the rear mech or even the chainset to store it finally. It will take a lot of your time, and you need to rebuild it again when you reach your destination. If you love assembling and disassembling your mountain bike, these kinds of travel cases are perfect for you.
How to Pack a Mountain Bike in a Travel Case and Bag
As I have mentioned, mountain bag travel cases will require you to disassemble your bike before you can store it. So, here are the basic easy steps on how to pack a mountain bike:
Keep your bike clean
It is a crucial step in packing your mountain bike. Always keep your bike clean before storing it. Loose mud or dirt can mess up your cycle and make storing difficult. Ensure that all the components of your mountain bike are immaculate, especially the pedals and the wheels. Dirt and mud can add to the weight of your bike and the travel case as well.
Remove your bike’s pedals
The first component to be removed from your bike are the pedals. You can use a 6mm or 8mm Allen key to remove the pedals off your bike. After removing the pedals, put some grease or oil to keep them in good condition. Put the pedals in the side compartment of your bike to be able to get them quickly.
Remove your bike’s handlebars
The bolts or washers securing your bike’s handlebars should be removed first. Once they are released, remove the handlebars next. By removing them, you can readily store them inside the case without being bulky.
Remove or compress your bike’s seat post
There are two types of seat post on a mountain bike. It is either a fixed seatpost or dropper seatpost. If your mountain bike has a fixed seatpost, remove it. On the other hand, your bike’s dropper seatpost should be compressed to its shortest form. In this sense, it can easily be inserted into your travel bag.
Remove your bike’s wheels
Most mountain bike travel cases have wheel compartments to better protect them from impact and breakage. It would be best to separate the wheels, fork, and frame to store them in their respective containers. After which, deflate your tires to make them less bulky. There are two types of tires on a bike. If your bike wheels were run with inner tubes, you need to deflate them completely. If it is tubeless, do not let the air out entirely to not encounter re-inflation problems.
Remove the rear derailleur and rotors
Other essential parts of your bike to be removed are the rear derailleur and rotors. They should be detached from the frame to avoid damaging them. The rear derailleur should be secured and wrapped with bubble wrap to prevent them from getting lost. Each rotor should be put in a separate plastic bag or Ziploc to keep it clean and lube-free.
Secure your bike components with straps and braces
Mountain bike travel cases have straps and braces meant to secure the pieces of your bike inside. The frame should be confirmed with internal straps not to move and change position when travelling. Your handlebars and tube sections can be secured with padding as well. Smaller and lightweight items removed from your bike can be stored with padding too. After that, you can put them in the main compartment.
Put some extra padding and fill-in the gaps
For added layers of protection and peace of mind, put on some extra padding and fill in the gaps once you put all the components in their respective compartments. Internal straps may not be enough, especially when you will travel long and far. The key to secure your bike is filling in the gaps to prevent the bike’s components from moving around.
There are plenty of bike bags available in shops or even online. To get a suitable case for your MTBs, you need to determine your bike’s size and measurement. Next is the level of protection you want to give to your MTBs.
The best mountain bike travel case we listed above has a lot of variety, which you can weigh before purchasing. We also have listed down affordable and high-end mountain bike bags depending on your category as a cyclist.
Hopefully, the cases we mentioned above made your purchasing decision more comfortable and faster. Of course, the key is to be specific with your needs and your MTB needs as well.
Here are some other interesting models that you might like:
- 【High Quality Material】Mountain bike bag is made of extra thick 840D high quality oxford fabric with nano material triple coating inside, so the...
- 【All-round Protection For Bicycle】Ideal for bike transport carrying, carrying bikes in cars, trains, air travel, shipping, subways, etc.Making...
- 【Four Details You'll Love】①Strong and Adjustable Length Shoulder Straps:Enhancing the webbing strength which is enough to cope with carry burden...
- 【FITS 26 inch to 29 inch BIKES】Unfolded Bicycle Travel Case Size: 55.1*31.4*11 inch(140cm x 80cm x 28cm); Bicycle Storage Bag Folded size:...
- 【2 Years Replacement Service】In addition to receiving a premium bicycle storage bag，you will also have an extra portable storage bag for easy...
- The combination of ABS construction and the aluminum click-rail protects bike during transport
- Integrated wheels for easy transport
- Integrated bike stand doubles as a convenient bike holder and work stand
- Easy to pack and assemble making traveling easy
- For road, mountain and cyclotrons bikes up to and over a 46"/116.8 cm wheelbase
- Safely transports almost all mountain bikes, fitting wheelbases up to 130cm and tires up to 29 x 3.0"
- Included work stand makes bike maintenance, assembly and disassembly easier while traveling or at home
- Easily fasten the bike to the workstand inside the case for safe and secure transport
- Padded interior packing panels are tailored to protect all parts of bike during transport
- Rigid side panels are reinforced with 5mm corrugate polypropylene and a molded HDPE bottom tub provide superior protection
- COMPATIBILITY: The case is suitable for 700C road bikes with QR and Thru axles wheels & Not compatible with MTBs and integrated seatpost & The case...
- QUALITY MATERIAL: The case is formed by EVA material under 200 degree heat, the surface thickness is 1cm, and the hardness (Hs) is up to 80. It is...
- PROTECTION: Thanks for the hard shell massive storage design of this bike travel case, so you can take your beloved bikes anywhere in this world...
- QUICK ACTION: The excellent quality wheels secure your travelling more smoothly and effortlessly. Soft handles on top and side of the case help you...
- SECURITY: The thick layer will protect the wheels and frame for impacting each other, various stout buckles, straps and strong integrated industrial...
- SECURITY: Thanks for the hard shell massive storage design of this bike travel case so that you can take your beloved bikes anywhere in this world...
- MATERIAL: The case is formed by EVA material under 200-degree heat, the surface thickness is 1cm, and the hardness (Hs) is up to 80. It is high impact...
- COMPATIBILITY: The case is suitable for up to 29" Bikes ( But does NOT FIT an XL frame 29er MTB unfortunately ) & The case dimension is 118cm x 25cm x...
- QUICK ACTION: The excellent quality wheels secure your travelling more smoothly and effortlessly. Soft handles on top and side of the case help you...
- PROTECTION: The thick layer will protect the wheels and frame from impacting each other, various stout buckles and straps to protect the bicycle parts...
- Dimensions of the bike transport bag: 55.12" x 31.49" x 11.02". The folded storage bag size:15.75" x 7.48".Weight:5.29lb.
- The bike bag is fit for 26-29 inch folding bike,27.5 inch mountain bike,700 C road bike or below. Almost suitable for all bicycles in the market.
- Heavy duty 600D oxford fabric + 300g non-woven fabric,strong shoulder straps and two accessories pockets of this bicycle carrier case
- Features: Internal divider compartment for wheel set to better protect your bike. Front zipper pocket design to put tire pump, water bottle, etc....
- HOW TO USE : 1.For 27.5 inch mountain bike-remove the front wheel, handlebars, cushion of the bike. For 700 C road bike- remove the front wheel .2....
- Bike carry bag --- This folding bike bag is suitable for regular 26 inch bikes,even up to 27.5 inch bikes with wheels and handlebar off. So portable...
- Easy to load in --- Disassemble the front wheel and handlebar of the bike,then put the whole bicycle into the bag and zip up.
- High Quality Material --- Heavy duty 600D oxford fabric + 300g non-woven fabric,strong shoulder straps and two accessories pockets of this bicycle...
- Dimensions --- Unfolded size: 55.1*31.4*11 inch(140cm x 80cm x 28cm); Folded size: 15.7*7.4*5.5 inch(40cm x 19cm x 14cm)
- Convenient --- It is ideal for bike transfer, carrying your bicycles on cars, trains, subways, etc.