A pannier is perhaps the best storage solution for cyclists, but you have to go to the trouble of looking for a pannier rack, and it’s in no way an easy task. You have to consider several things such as its maximum load, weight, price, and whether it fits your bike.
The good news is, once you find a suitable option, your cycling and touring experience would be improved considerably.
That’s precisely why my reviews on the best pannier rack will help you come up with a favorable decision as to which products to choose. You’ll be surprised at how much a good pannier rack changes your bike life.
Our Top Picks
1. Ibera Bike Rack for Disc Brake
A suitable option for bikes with a disc brake, the Ibera Bike Rack for Disc Brake is a well-made and solid rear rack with a surprisingly low weight.
This pannier rack is constructed out of anodized aluminum after going through TIG welding and heat treatment. With such a manufacturing process, you can expect a robust and non-fading product. This pannier rack can also fit naturally on most types of bicycles. Besides, the rack itself only weighs about 1.7 pounds.
Notably, this carrier rack can be mounted easily with its efficient mounting system utilizing bike eyelets. Moreover, the structure of this rack allows bags to afford a quick-release function.
Another good news is that the height of this rack’s bottom rods can be adjusted from 14 inches to 15 inches, allowing them to support 26-inch to 29-inch bike frames, including those with disc brakes. What’s more, this pannier rack is compatible with a variety of Ibera products including a grocery pannier, trunk bags, and even supports the attachment of reflectors or tail lights.
2. Topeak Explorer Rack
If you prefer trunk bags as your main storage solution, I’m sure you’ll like the Topeak Explorer Rack. This is mainly because the structure of this carrier rack includes an integrated top panel which allows users to quickly mount and release trunk bags. Since this belongs to Topeak’s MTX QuickTrack Series, this feature is even handier if your trunk bag is from the same line.
In addition to its trunk bag compatibility, the brand also used 6061 T6 aluminum alloy for the rack – a material with good welding properties. Hence, users can expect a firm and long-lasting pannier rack. From my experience, this product will hold for a long time even with frequent use.
I’m also quite impressed at this product’s weight capacity of 55 pounds, meaning you can use this rack for both commuting and touring. And while this product has a high capacity, it’s surprisingly light as it only weighs about 1.5 pounds by itself. It’s also worth mentioning that the mounts of this product are braze-ons, so unless you’re using a mountain bike, this pannier rack should be compatible.
3. ProRuck Bike Rear Rack
A product that I view in high regard is the ProRuck Bike Rear Rack due to its extremely high capacity. To be precise, this rack has a maximum weight capacity of 110 pounds, which is an incredibly high value even for a touring rack.
Furthermore, you can take it moderately by leaving everything else and using only the main rack for storage, but doing so can still yield a capacity of 55 pounds. This is a bit unexpected considering the rack only weighs 2.54 pounds.
On top of its high capacity, this product is also made of high-quality aluminum alloy, resulting in a strong and durable rack. Also, the brand utilizes clamps as the primary mounting brackets of the rack. Such a feature results in a much easier assembly and disassembly. The manufacturer further made things simpler by including an instruction manual as well as tools such as a wrench and the necessary bolts.
Notably, the main platform can be adjusted according to your bike’s specifications. Hence, you can mount this on your bike as long as the seat post tubes have a diameter of less than 33mm and the rear frame tubes have a diameter of less than 25mm. I should also mention that this rack is suitable for MTB and bikes with disc brakes.
4. Ibera Bike Rack for Non-Disc Brake
The Ibera Bike Rack for Non-Disc Brake is yet another product from the Ibera brand. However, this product is specifically designed for bikes with no disc brakes. Hence, the bottom rods of this rack have a different design from the previous rack.
The good news is that this product is made of heat-treated, TIG welded anodized aluminum, resulting in a much stronger and durable rack. Considering the weight of this rack, which is around 1.7 pounds, it’s quite surprising that it can handle up to 55 pounds of luggage.
You’d also be glad to know that this carrier rack features adjustable bottom rods with a height ranging from 14 inches to 15 inches. This results in a compatibility with 26- to 29-inch bike frames.
The brand also made sure this rack is suitable for Ibera trunk bags or even Ortlieb panniers. In fact, such bags can be easily attached to this rack using the product’s quick-release mounting system. It should also be noted that this rack can accommodate tail lights and reflectors.
5. West Biking Bike Carrier Rack
If you’re the type to value durability, I suggest looking into the West Biking Bike Carrier Rack. This rack is made of aircraft-grade aluminum alloy which results in a durable and stable product. The brand also made sure the gaskets and the tubes are non-slip and abrasion-resistant, hence a longer lifespan.
Moreover, this product uses a three-point support structure allowing them to afford stability and security. As a result, users can load up to 310 pounds of luggage into this cargo rack. This is perfect for long-distance bike trips.
I’m also impressed at how the brand used Matt paint for the product. This results in an easy-to-clean surface that’s resistant to rust, scratch, and corrosion. Simply put, this product will last for a long time.
As for the attachment, it’s completely hassle-free since the product comes with all the necessary tools including the screws, a regular wrench, and an L wrench. With the L wrench, you can also adjust the panel’s direction as well as the shelf’s height. Therefore, it’s possible to attach this on 20 to 29-inch bike frames.
6. SONGMICS Bike Rack for Disc Brake
I also like to introduce the SONGMICS Bike Rear Rack known for its incredible security. The main reason why I like this product is that it is held together by anti-loosening, anti-rust 304 screws. These components are made of stainless steel material which is known for its resistance to heat, rust, and corrosion. Thus, you can expect a secure and stable carrier rack.
Remarkably, the manufacturer used anodized aluminum alloy which had gone through TIG-welding as the main material. This resulted in a durable and firm product. Moreover, they used a three-point triangulated structure to improve the stability of the frames. It’s no longer shocking that although it only weighs 2.2 pounds, this rear rack can carry up to 55 pounds of luggage.
For further safety, SONGMICS also added a top panel capable of protecting the rack from road sprays and serving as a mudguard. Meanwhile, the sidebars impede the panniers so they don’t hit the bike spokes. You will also find a reflector at the back of this rack which can help increase awareness at night.
Another remarkable feature about this product is the adjustable rack legs. This feature allows you to attach this on bikes with 26 to 28-inch frames. What’s more, this rack is suitable for bikes with disc brakes. The brand also added a wrench and an Allen key to the mix for an undemanding installation. It’s also worth mentioning that customer service is available in case you’re struggling with the installation process.
7. Dirza Rear Bike Rack
I’m quite fond of products that are secure and durable, which is why I recommend the Dirza Rear Bike Rack. This product uses locking nuts that do not loosen or tighten automatically even with constant vibration. Hence, the rack maintains stability even through rough trips and is safe from damage caused by overtightening.
It’s also commendable how the brand made the top shelf and bottom rods adjustable. Therefore, users can install the rack on 18” to 27.5” frames, which is a much wider range compared to most carrier racks. What’s more, as long as the seat post has a height of 2 inches and a diameter of 30mm, this rack should be suitable. That’s why this can be considered the best pannier rack for road bike or mountain bike.
Impressively, the manufacturer installed a quick-release mount on the front of the rack, resulting in a much simpler installation. Besides, the package comes with a manual and the necessary tools to facilitate the installation process. It also has an elastic net to secure trunk bags into the rear rack and rubber pads to serve as extra protection for your bags.
You may also be glad about the fact that this carrier rack is constructed out of high-grade aluminum alloy. That is why this product is rust-proof and lightweight while still being able to carry up to 115 pounds. For extra protection, there are frames on each side of the rack mainly to prevent the panniers from making contact with the spokes. The brand also used smooth coating, giving an aesthetic look to the bike.
8. Ibera Bike Rack with Fender Board
You’ve seen a few Ibera products, but it won’t hurt to mention another. The Ibera Bike Rack with Fender Board is a product that focuses on convenience. This carrier rack is all about the top fender panel which acts as a splash guard. Thus, you don’t have to worry about road sprays splashing into your trunk bags.
Much like most Ibera products, this rear bike rack for touring is made of aluminum alloy which was manufactured using heat treatment, TIG-welding, anodizing technology. With such a meticulous process, the result is a strong and durable product.
Despite that, this rack only weighs 1.65 pounds in total, which makes the fact that it can carry up to 55 pounds even more impressive. This is mainly because this rack is frame-mounted, which means it can carry heavier loads.
Another praiseworthy feature regarding this product is the quick-release and clip-on mounting system used for the rack. Therefore, bags, especially trunk bags, can be attached or detached with ease. It should also be mentioned that this particular product is compatible with Ibera trunk bags as well as panniers. It’s also possible to install a reflector or tail light on the rear of this rack for further safety.
9. SONGMICS Bike Rack for Non-Disc Brake
Similar to Ibera, SONGMICS is a trustworthy brand, which is why you might also be interested in the SONGMICS Bike Rear Rack for Non-Disc Brake. This product is a rear rack specifically designed for non-disc brake bikes. Hence, its structure is a bit different from the previous product. Thankfully, all positive features were kept.
Starting from durability, this product already gets a thumbs up as it is made of TIG-welded aluminum alloy. Moreover, the brand uses a triangulated system so the loading area can maintain stability while carrying a heavy load of up to 55 pounds.
Besides, there’s a fender board that serves as a mudguard, preventing mud and water from splashing into your bags. Meanwhile, there are frames on each side of the rack to block the pannier bags from knocking the bike spokes.
Remarkably, this product is suitable for 26” to 29” bike frames since the bottom rods’ height is adjustable. What’s more, this product has a different mounting hole designed for linear-pull brakes instead of disc brakes. You may also notice a reflector mount. This is where you can attach tail lights or reflectors for safety at night.
What really got me interested in this product are the locking nuts which are not only rust-resistant but also secure enough to not get loose easily even during rough trips. The product comes with a wrench and other mounting tools to facilitate the installation of this rack using the locking nuts.
10. RELIANCER Bike Cargo Rack
Our last entry is the RELIANCER Bike Cargo Rack, and I must say, the brand goes above and beyond to provide more than a high-quality rack. This product features an aluminum carrier rack that has gone through heat-treatment, TIG-welding, and anodizing. Hence, despite the common material, it’s much stronger than typical racks. More particularly, this product can hold up to 55 pounds of luggage.
Moreover, the manufacturer used a rust-resistant and smooth coating, resulting in a somewhat water-resistant surface. Plus, the stainless steel screws and anti-loosening nuts lead to further security and stability for long-distance cycling.
To further improve the stability, the brand opted for a three-point loading system. Additionally, this rear rack consists of a fender panel which serves as a mudguard while the two sidebars serve as protection for the pannier.
It’s also remarkable how the length and height of the product can be adjusted according to your bike’s requirements. As a result, you can fit this on 26” to 29” bike frames and on bikes with no disc brakes as long as the mounting holes are appropriate.
On top of the rack, the brand also included a 15.7” by 15.7” bungee net to secure trunk bags into the carrier rack, and it’s not just any net either. This bonus item is designed to withstand heavy bags and is made with high-quality rubber with a scratch-resistant, durable, and flexible nylon cover.
Hence, the bungee net is stretchable up to 30” by 30”. Another bonus item is the reflector which can be detached and attached from the reflector mount.
What to Look for When Buying Pannier Racks
Choosing a bike rack and pannier can be very tiresome and brain-racking. After all, you’re going to spend your money on a piece of metal. However, it can be said that such a product is crucial to bettering your cycling experience. As such, this guide will run through features that you should consider when buying pannier racks.
There are three common options when it comes to the material: (1) aluminum, (2) steel, and (3) titanium. Although most of the products detailed in this guide are made of aluminum, some brands make use of other materials.
Aluminum racks are much lighter and they are durable but not as durable as steel or titanium racks. Steel racks like the Topeak Explorer Rack, on the other hand, are more durable but quite heavy. Finally, titanium racks are expensive, much like Tubus racks, but they are often more durable and suitable as lightweight pannier for road bike or mountain bikes.
Durable and Stable
In addition to the material, you must also check how the product is manufactured. Just like many products included in this guide, the material must’ve gone through a high-quality manufacturing process such as heat-treatment, TIG-welding, anodizing, and the likes. It would also be great if the coating is also somewhat resistant to water.
You should also make sure the bicycle pannier rack is compatible with your bike, and this all depends on the mounting system of the product. You see, there are two types of mounting systems for bike bag racks: (1) traditional and (2) non-traditional.
The traditional system makes use of eyelets or bolt holes already located on your bike. On the other hand, the non-traditional mounting system makes use of clamps which are usually attached to the seat post. This is usually used on mountain bikes since the majority of MTBs don’t have bolt holes.
Obviously, you need to consider the price of the product. I suggest looking for a pannier rack that is not too expensive, but the price is reasonable. The price of good bike rear rack bags is usually around $40 to $50.
Although there are carrier racks with a fixed height and length, it is much better if the bottom rods or the top shelf is adjustable. With such a feature, they can fit on a wider range of bike frames.
Useful Components and Items
You must’ve noticed that there are products with additional components or items. Such products are also highly recommended. Examples of useful components include a reflector mount, sidebars, and fender panels. It’s also a huge advantage if there are items such as pads and nets.
Do Pannier Racks Fit All Bike
If you’re going to spend money on a pannier rack, you might as well ensure that the product fits in your bike. This leads us to the question, do pannier racks fit all bikes?
Unfortunately, pannier racks only fit on bikes that satisfy their requirements. For example, a rack with a height of 14” to 15” can fit on 26” to 29” frames. Simply put, pannier racks usually fit on bike frames with a length twice the rack’s height.
There’s also the issue with the mounting holes. Bikes with eyelets are usually easier to manage since a touring rack has screws that fit on such holes. However, other bikes like most MTBs don’t have eyelets, so the pannier rack should have a clamp.
Fortunately, cyclists have found a way to fit just about any rear pannier rack to their bike. However, such a method is time-consuming and often results in uncomfortable cycling due to the pannier rack’s incompatibility with the bike frames.
On the other hand, you may also encounter pannier racks that seem to be incompatible with your bike despite satisfying the requirements. Difficulty in attaching a pannier rack is usually caused by improper installation techniques. Hence, it’s recommended to let a mechanic take a look at it. However, that doesn’t mean that this task cannot be done by yourself.
Another issue that you may find when attaching the pannier rack is the bike type. As you may already know, different bike types also mean different structures. A mountain bike has different needs from a touring bike, and vice versa, which leads us to the next question.
Can You Put a Pannier Rack On a Road Bike
Road bikes are not much different from touring bikes, which is why the answer to this question is yes. You can put a pannier rack on a road bike, or even a mountain bike for that matter, as long as the mounting holes are compatible. However, you may still have follow-up questions, which is why we’re going to take a closer look at this matter.
A road bike does not have a fixed structure. Some have eyelets, while others do not. The length of the chainstay also differs. Lastly, different materials can be used on the bike, resulting in different weights. By considering these factors, you can find out how you can put a pannier rack on a road bike and which can be considered as one of the right pannier racks for road bike.
- With or without eyelets – To begin with, if your road bike has eyelets, attaching a pannier rack is quite simple. However, if there’s no eyelet, you should get racks that have clamps or brackets for the seat post. With this component, installation is much easier but less secure.
- Chain-stay Length – A regular road bike isn’t normally built for touring. Hence, unless you make some changes in its structures or follow some workarounds, you won’t be able to put a pannier rack to your bike. This is mainly because the chainstay of a road bike is usually shorter than that of touring bikes.
- Material – You should also inspect the material of your road bike. Afterward, get a pannier rack that is suitable for such material. For example, if your bike is made of steel, consider getting a steel pannier rack since it will look more natural and will not complicate things in the long run. The same goes for an aluminum and a titanium pannier rack.
Just like how you prefer one type of accessory over another, you must also choose an appropriate pannier rack for your bicycle. After all, a rear rack is most likely going to be treated as a part of your bike and not just as an accessory.
After browsing this guide on the best pannier rack, it should be safe to assume that not only did you pick your preferred product, you also gathered valuable information regarding bike pannier racks. Hopefully, such knowledge can help in your biking journey.
Here are some other interesting models that you might like:
- ★2019 ALL NEW DESIGN – Upgraded newly design 3 in 1 bike rear rack pannier bag . Concise style , better material, large capacity, creates a best...
- ★LARGE CAPACITY – 37Liters (9.8 Gal) , padded with support board, the paniers bike bags fixed securely on the rack . your best partner for a long...
- ★Modular 3 in 1 Design – 2 large side bags + 1 detachable top bag +additional string bags on the side bags and top bags , convenient for water...
- ★WATER RESISTAN – Water resistant 1000D reinforce polyester fabric (270g), durable and easy to scrub, wear and tear resistant.
- ★Warranty – One(1) year warranty against material and manufacturing defects. Thanksgiving ,Christmas or Birthday gift for your lover, families or...
- Large zippered pockets - Panniers with large zippered pockets, reflective trim, and carrier handle on top.
- Angled pocket design - Angled pocket design ensures pedaling space.
- 3M reflective trim - 3M Scotch Lite reflective trim ensures night time visibility.
- Adjustable hooks fit most bicycle rack - Four shelf straps and two height adjustable bungee hooks for mounting.
- Rigid Back Panel - Each pannier has a rigid back panel to maintain bag structure for easy access on and off the bike.
- THE TANDEM PANNIER: Our classic pannier for long hauls or short jaunts via bike
- KEEP IT ORGANIZED: Front zip pocket for keeping small items in check
- CLEVER EXTRAS: Reflective hits; Vista loop for attaching blinky bike lights; Grab handle for easy lifting; Internal stretch pocket compatible with up...
- MATERIALS & FIT: Easy on and off rack attachment with two hook and loop straps; Removable shoulder strap; Main body material is rugged 600D Poly Non-P...
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: Timbuk2 stands behind the legendary quality and craftsmanship of all our products; We also embrace the wild, twisty ways of life;...
- Stylish Design to Meet Multiple Use Needs, More Pockets and 50L Large Capacity. Even a 15-inch notebook can be easily placed. Up to 35 KG loading...
- Waterproof Material with Extra Rain Cover. High density reinforced polyester with PU coating. A variety of details designed to better meet the outdoor...
- Top bundle belt on the pannier bag allow more space for extra trunk bags on top or backpack, tent, sleeping bag and so on. Please Install it Together...
- 4 fast install hooks and 4 fasten straps with buckles make you more easier to install panniers and attach it well to carrier. Build in PE Board to...
- Reflective Elements Increase Nighttime Safety. Security reminder brand logo and 3M reflective trims enhance visibility in the night.
- Frame-mounted for heavier top and side loads with disk mounts
- Quick-release bag mounting system
- Adjustable; fits most 26-Inch and 700c frames
- Durable, lightweight aluminum 760g.Plus allows IBERA bags to be mounted with IBERA panniers
- Bag Compatibility PakRak IB-BA9, IB-BA11, IB-BA14, IB-BA15, IB-BA16, IB-BA18, IB-BA19, IB-BA20
- 🚲 LARGE STORAGE CAPACITY: At 36L these panniers have plenty of storage for all of your accessories. The removable hard pads in the main compartment...
- 🚲 DURABLE DESIGN: Made from 600D Polyester with a firmly padded structure this carrier bag is ready for your daily commute to work or a weekend...
- 🚲 MULTIPLE POCKETS: The main compartment has two extra compartments with zippers inside for more carry capacity. In addition to there are two...
- 🚲 SAFE & SECURE: A universal 2 velcro strap attachment system allows you to attach this bag to any rear bike rack with ease while providing maximum...
- 🚲 MULTI-PURPOSE: The bag can quickly be removed from the rack and can be carried by the top handle allowing you to use it as a messenger bag, hand...
- Two grocery panniers attach to the top of the rack with two metal hooks and the bottom of the rack or bike frame with a bungee and S Hook.
- Each pannier will accommodate one full sized grocery bag.
- When not in use folds flat for storage.
- Dimensions: 14" Length x 9" width x 11.5" height
- Each pannier supports carries up to 15 lbs of goods.